This year we did an easy take on a classic Halloween costume, the witch. This is an easy costume because you can use things that you probably already have in your child’s closet. [Read more…]
My Halloween mantel for 2014 has been brewing in my mind for a couple of years. I had been saving cool bottles in hopes of conjuring up what one might see if they walked into a witch’s dwelling. Let’s break it down.
On the left we have an old olive oil bottle that has been filled with colored water. My kids helped me mix black and purple food coloring in the water. They were all smiles as they made their own witch’s potion. The bottle already had a cork but I added some twine around the top of it. On the right you will see an old mason jar filled with spider webs and spiders next to some “potion” books with a glass cloche encased pumpkin on top.
To make the paper scrolls, I just rolled up some papers and tied them with twine. I did two different types of paper and varied the sizes. The skull was purchased at Roberts crafts a few years ago, back when they were still in business. My daughter and I burned the pillar candles ourselves until they had “hair” or in other words wax dripping down them. To get them to be black on the top, I used one candle to burn the top wax of another.
I made the Something Wicked this way Comes sign (which is reversible!!) and you can see the tutorial here.
Old tin can and one more bottle that I saved that used to be balsamic vinegar and similarly filled it with colored water. I thought I had more skeleton people but I think they got used as dolls last year so now we are down to just 2. Lastly I used one of my white chalk paint pumpkins in a black bowl.
To tie it all in, I made a felt bat banner. I used this bat shape from Kolette Hall and the stiff craft felt. I just out the bat onto cardstock and used a thin chalk pencil to trace the bat onto the felt. I cut them out with a pair of scissors. I used a circle punch to punch out the grey circles. I set out the order that I wanted the banner to be. I alternated between 3 and 4 circles between each bat. I put together the pieces in a bit bat sandwich and then sewed them together to make my bat banner.