I had a goal this week to make myself a new shirt. Sweet Success. I tried something a little different this time. I forced myself to be patient and take my time. I unpicked instead of just cut and actually thought through things this time. Here is what I came up with.
I started with an XL polo shirt. I got it for free from my dad. He never wore it. Tags still attached. Cool.
I started off by unpicking the collar. I wanted to use the collar later for the bow so I was careful to keep it intact.
Then I carefully cut off the sleeves. I put the shirt on inside out and pinned it to take it in.
Using an existing shirt, I made a template for my new sleeve. I cut my new sleeves out of the old sleeves using the original hem.
I pinned the new sleeves in and sewed them in leaving a small space at where the seam of the shirt bodice meets the sleeve.
Then I sewed the sleeves shut starting from the hem of the sleeve and sewing all the way down to the part that I took in of the bodice. Hope that makes sense.
Now for the bow. I was originally going to use just the collar but I didn’t want the bow to be too thin. I salvaged some fabric that was left over from the sleeves. I cut them to make them straight instead of curved and sewed them together.
I unpicked the sides of the collar and pinned each side to a side of the sleeve remnant. One end of the strips I angled and the other I tapered on both sides so that it would fit inside the new collar. I sewed them, right sides together and then flipped them right side out. I didn’t sew the tapered end shut.
I pinned the collar back together.
Inserted the tapered ends of the strips into the ends of the collar.
Using a zipper foot, I sewed the bow strips in and sewed around the collar.
My patience was rewarded!